As Tampa continues to grow, we’re seeing a significant amount of change take place in and around Rocky Point. Much of it is positive, and we are working to leverage these opportunities where possible. We are also fortunate to have a strong community whose residents swiftly roll up their sleeves to address concerns negatively affecting public safety, quality of life, and property values.
Vision — Including Ongoing Operations
- Work with Pelican Island and Sweetwater on branding Rocky Point’s single-family-home waterfront communities. (UNDERWAY)
- Raise awareness around proactive, simple, effective measures residents can take to help us collectively achieve a crime-free vision. Work with code enforcement to address surrounding blight (e.g., graffiti on commercial buildings and bridges, snipe signs along Memorial Hwy). (ONGOING)
- Monitor, evaluate and respond to local zoning changes in and around Rocky Point. (ONGOING)
- Boost awareness of local speed limits and pursue traffic calming and safety measures to help ensure the safety of our residents, their children, and pets.(ONGOING)
- Boost awareness and enforcement of local speed limits on the waterways. (ONGOING)
- Address broad maintenance issues as needed (e.g., street sweeping, neighborhood-wide trash/recycling problems) while sharing information that allows homeowners to address routine and property-specific issues whenever possible.(ONGOING)
- Evaluate and potentially pursue opportunities for nearby neighborhoods to join together to improve the median landscaping along Memorial and Independence Highways, land development standards along Memorial Highway, public safety, and other aspects of our area.
Completed Items — Community Highlights
- Drove efforts with Hillsborough County, EPC, and Rocky Point Golf Course to remove overgrowth at the bend in Dana Shores Drive across from Pelican Island, to clean out the drainage pipes at this location, and to establish a long-term maintenance program for hedging the mangroves. These changes improved drivers’ safety, promoted better drainage, and enhanced aesthetics.
- Worked closely with the Hillsborough County Aviation Authority to prohibit large-scale, commercial development outside parties had planned on Parcel 5, the acreage belonging to Tampa Airport located south of Skyway Park and north of the Courtney Campbell Causeway. As a result of the neighborhood’s efforts, this area is currently designated a scenic reserve and commercial development is prohibited.
- Worked with Rocky Point Golf Course to show community interest and spur an estimated one million dollar investment in clubhouse renovations and new, professional-quality greens.
- Addressed zoning violations, noise, traffic concerns, and public safety issues stemming from large-scale concerts held at Hogan’s Beach. Hogan’s Beach has since been sold. We have also worked closely with the City of Tampa as they redrafted their noise ordinance, which has fostered a series of productive meetings with the management team at Bay Harbor / The Beach as they move toward a new vision for this hotel.
- Increased on-the-water patrols and prompted changes in the interagency coordination between the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Department, the Tampa Police Department, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to address jet skiers who sped around Rocky Point Island and along the Courtney Campbell Causeway on race-modified skis. Although rogue individuals periodically return, changes in law enforcement’s response have significantly reduced the frequency with which they visit the area and have thus reduced navigational hazards posed to residential boaters, property damage, and associated noise pollution.
- Engaged FWC to remove crab traps placed on resident-owned submerged lands behind neighborhood homes.
- Developed a partnership with Tampa Bay Boat and Jet Ski Rentals at the Westin to encourage observation of minimum-wake and no-wake zones.
- Worked with Hillsborough County to address limited site visibility and improve driver safety at the intersection of Memorial Highway and Dana Shores Drive.
- Enhanced our neighborhood’s ability to thwart crime. Provided online tools to support collaboration when issues arise. Shared suggested practices garnered from surrounding communities and law enforcement.