Guidelines and Instructions
The annual Rocky Point Boat Parade & Decorating Contest will be held this season with the following dates:
Pre-register for the Boat Decorating Contest: Friday, 11/1/2019 through Sunday, 12/8/2019
Participate in the Boat Parade: Saturday, 12/14, starting at 6 p.m.
Community Voting: Begins at 6:30 p.m. on 12/14/2019 and continues through noon on 12/15/2019
Winners Announced: evening of Friday, 12/20/2019
Please read the guidelines and instructions below. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Pre-registration is only required to compete in the decorating contest; it is not required to participate in the parade.
- Applications for the boat-decorating contest should be received no later than 5 p.m. on Sunday, December 8, 2019. Others participating in the parade need only be at the basin in front of the Westin and Bahama Breeze at 6:00 p.m. on December 14 to line up.
- The order of entries will be by pre-assigned number (for decorating contest participants) followed by those who do not wish to participate in the contest on a first-come, first-serve basis with the exception of certain lead boats.
- Participation is open to all residents in Dana Shores, Pelican Island, Sweetwater, and Bay Crest.
- Entry is free. No cost or fees apply.
- Neighborhood association board members are not eligible to participate in the contest but may participate in the parade.
- All parade entries must be motorized and able to maintain forward motion throughout the duration of the parade. Captains must maintain a safe speed and following distance throughout the duration of the parade and may not be intoxicated or otherwise impaired.
- To protect our wildlife, participants may not throw beads, candy, or other objects into the water.
- Each entry must have proper safety equipment (e.g., fire extinguishers, life jackets, navigational lights, railings, and hand-holds).
- Line-up begins at 6:00 p.m. and continues until the parade begins at 6:30 p.m. During line-up, photos may be taken of each vessel from the Bahama Breeze dock.
- Participants agree to have one or more photos of their decorated boat posted on DanaShores.com, the community Facebook page, the Shore Lines newsletter, and other marketing materials for the Dana Shores Civic Association. Participant agrees that there will be no compensation of any kind for said posting or publication.
Additional information regarding the boat decorating contest:
- Judging will be based on crowd appeal as viewed from docks throughout the parade route. Entrants may want to consider unique designs, creative use of lights and decorations, storylines or themes, music, animated objects, and holiday spirit.
- Contest participants must display an LED Entry Number Sign, provided by the Dana Shores Civic Association. This sign should be placed in a conspicuous location on the boat so the crowd can see it.
- Two prizes will be awarded: One 1st prize of a gift basket with a minimum value of $100 and one 2nd prize of a gift basket with a minimum value of $75.
- Winners will be announced at the Holiday Happy Hour on Friday, December 20, starting at 6:30 p.m. at Rocky Point Golf Course. Winners need not be present to win.
- Veteran participants encourage newcomers to consider LED lights over incandescent lights, 100 strands or more, and separate power sources/generators. Also, they suggest testing the full display a day or two in advance, as many captains find that adjustments are needed to properly power or attach their display.
- Be creative, be festive, and have fun!