When it comes to neighbor relations, Lady Bird Johnson captured our sentiments well: While the spirit of neighborliness was important on the frontier because neighbors were so few, it is even more important now because our neighbors are so many.
Vision — Including Ongoing Operations
- Work with Hillsborough County to offer residents an Annual Dumpster Day. Since 2014, roughly 80 neighborhood families bring items to this event each year, typically filling all five contractor-sized dumpsters with old appliances, furniture, and other debris. In 2017, we also invited The Spring, and a commercial box truck was filled with donated appliances, used furniture, and clothing. (ONGOING)
- Develop and coordinate community helping/sharing programs. (ONGOING)
In 2015, we added a Heavy Item Hotline for single residents (especially those with more life experience) who may need a helping hand to move an item or two around the house. When the effort is too small to call a handyman but too big to accomplish alone, residents may use our hotline. Contact us if you need help or if you are able and willing to volunteer your time and brawn on an as‐needed basis.
In 2016, we added a Classified section to our website.
In 2017, we worked with neighbors to help coordinate a local paper-shredding event.
- Work through a grant program to offer existing and new neighbors free bicycle helmets. Since 2015, more than 5o families have benefited from the program. (For more information, read the Resources/Equipment tab on our Bicycling page.) (ONGOING)
- Provide opportunities for neighbors to promote their businesses (e.g., New Neighbor Brochure, website advertising, and a bi-annual neighborhood auction). (ONGOING)
- Identify savings opportunities for senior citizens (e.g., garbage/recycling discounts, deferred property taxes). (ONGOING)
- Leverage the neighborhood’s collective bargaining power to provide discounts and price sharing opportunities to individuals and families within our community.
- Develop a Disaster Response Plan to help protect our residents in the case of such an event.