Facebook Group Guidelines
Dana Shores, Rocky Point Neighbors-Only
This group has one purpose: to foster positive, accurate communication about events and happenings within and relevant to our neighborhood.
Several standards will be followed to help ensure this purpose is met. At an administrator’s discretion, posts deemed in contradiction to the group’s purpose or in violation of the group’s standards will be removed. In addition, members who violate these standards or disparage others risk both temporary as well as permanent removal from the group. Membership is a privilege extended to Dana Shores, Pelican Island, and The Cove homeowners and residents; it is not a right.
Judgment will sometimes be required to determine whether a post violates one or more standards. Individual users may report posts they believe fail to meet these standards.
Admins may require proof of residency prior to approving requests to join the group. As residents leave the neighborhood, we also ask that those users remove themselves from the group as they no longer have an interest in what happens in Dana Shores / Pelican Island. We welcome efforts from group members to help maintain the membership roster.
In addition to the group’s standards, the following general disclaimers apply. Use common sense when providing your personal information. Purchases made and business recommendations used are done so at your own risk. The admins are not qualified to mediate or give legal advice. All posts are made at the user’s own risk. We cannot always reply to all personal messages. For general neighborhood questions, suggestions, and asks, email email@example.com. Disclaimers, standards, and other rules are subject to change without notice.
1. Please Be Kind and Courteous.
We’re all in this together to create a welcoming environment. Treat everyone with respect. Take responsibility for working matters directly with appropriate parties.
Shaming aimed at one or more specific neighbors, local businesses, or groups; bullying of any kind; and degrading comments about race, religion, culture, political orientation, sexual orientation, gender, or identity will not be tolerated. Posts that serve a primary purpose to incite or inflame will not be tolerated.
If you have a problem with a neighbor or local business and feel comfortable doing so, please speak with them. Otherwise, contact the appropriate authorities. If you have a problem with a neighborhood association, neighborhood initiative, or volunteer, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. No Over-Posting, Over-Commenting, or Taking Over Posts
This group is for community discussion. In a perfect Facebook universe, no single person’s name should dominate the discussion on the board in the form of independent posts, comments, or by taking over other members’ posts. An example of over-posting is posting independent posts three or more times per day. An example of over-commenting is commenting on 25% or more of all new posts in the group. An example of taking over another member’s post is turning it into a discussion solely about your own opinion.
We appreciate passion that is turned into positive action. If you have an idea or a change you’d like to see made, feel free to reach out to one of the community association board members to learn how you can get more involved. Email us at email@example.com.
3. Remain Informative and Community-Focused.
Information may be shared across a variety of topics:
- Neighborhood Projects / Initiatives
- Neighborhood Social Gatherings and Events
- Lost and Found Pets / Items
- Finding Others with Common Interests
- Neighborhood-Related Questions and Answers
- Neighborhood Association News / Updates
- Non-Partisan Government Updates / News Affecting Our Community (e.g., FDOT, FWC)
- Nearby Development / Changes to Surrounding Land Use or Zoning
- Requests for Business Recommendations / References *
- Wildlife Sightings
- Criminal Activity or Concerns
- Severe Weather Updates / Discussion
- Up to 3 Commercial Posts per Household over a 12-Month Period (e.g., large-ticket items, real estate listings, and yard sales) and, of these posts, an item/business may only be advertised once per 6-month period *
(*) See https://danashores.com/recommendations/ for details.
This forum should not be used for the following:
- General negativity or complaints.
- Negativity or complaints directed toward specific neighbors, neighborhood associations, neighborhood initiatives, or neighborhood volunteers.
- Providing false or misleading information.
- Random or personal thoughts, including posts, spam, and irrelevant links.
- Statements made on behalf or representative of a community association unless posted by one of the association board members.
- Commercial posts (including items for sale) that fall outside or exceed the limits outlined above.
- Statements made to foster political agendas or promote individual candidates, including political introductions, discussion, or advertising for anything other than non-partisan educational forums.
There is no automated way to ensure that posts comply with our standards, so we ask that group members self-regulate. If you see a post that fails to comply with the above standards, please report it.
- Click the upper right arrow of the post.
- Click Report to Admin.