Plans were submitted to the County in mid-2022 for rezoning the Scottish Rite property that sits west of the Memorial Hwy x Dana Shores Dr intersection and immediately east of the Sweetwater community. The Sweetwater Creek (SCPOA) Board opposes the developer’s requested variances to allow for the construction of a 313,600 SF commercial apartment complex (which provides for a 275-unit, four-story commercial apartment complex situated above a parking garage located at ground level and 78,400 SF of non-residential uses) and a 25,000 SF replacement structure for Scottish Rite temple. The DSCA Board agrees with and supports Sweetwater in their objection.
Additional details are provided below.
Two Sample Additional/Revised Information Sheets from the Developer:
* includes Narrative (11/22)
* includes visual of the Site Plan (11/22)
Instructions are provided below on how to gather additional documents from the County website
Facebook page dedicated to this subject, available to residents, and moderated by Sweetwater: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1480685619081525
All related documentation submitted to, posted by, and kept up-to-date by the County
- Click on https://pgm.hillsboroughcounty.org/optix-web-8/#folder;1uNGIMt5qb6JBhzwjpjWvpYa0LrPUPt2
- Log in as public (user and pw = public).
- Select <Refresh Server Catalog> once logged in.
- Go to ‘Document Repository Public’.
- In the second user field, enter ‘22-0865’. Hit Return.
- At the top of the screen, you should see a blue highlighted horizontal bar. Click on the blue folder that is in the leftmost column (next to the Application Number). This will open up all of the related folders.
- Many find it helpful to start with the ‘Application’ and ‘Site Plans and Maps’ folders.
The Applicant signed in as a lobbyist for this project with several County Commissioners in February of this year.
A Neighborhood Meeting with Onicx representatives occurred the evening of July 26, 2022, at Rocky Point Golf Course, and a second meeting was held on October 26, 2022.
The Applicant has recently filed for a continuance until the 1/17/23 Zoning Hearing meeting.
It is our understanding that for citizen’s written comments to be considered in the County staff’s findings and recommendations, we recommend they be submitted at least 15 days before the Zoning Hearing. Residents may also attend the Zoning Hearing.
To learn more about the County’s zoning process, check out the County’s QR guide.
The Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) will provide the final approval or denial of the zoning request. The meeting with the BOCC occurs after the zoning hearing meeting; the exact date has not yet been set. We recommend any letters sent to the BOCC are sent after the Zoning Hearing and before the BOCC hearing.
The DSCA Board members have had several discussions with Sweetwater regarding this matter, and we encourage our residents to support Sweetwater’s stance by sending an email outlining your opposition to the proposed rezoning.
- Send your response to: HEARINGS@HCFLGov.net
- Subject: OPPOSITION to Rezoning Application 22-0865 (5500 Memorial Hwy, Tampa: Folio # 11994.0100)
- Include your name and address. You may also use any or all of the first two pages of Sweetwater’s letter (above) to help frame your concerns.
Residents may also attend, listen to, and speak at the zoning hearing.
Again, letters to the Board of County Commissioners and attendance at the BOCC meeting will also be appropriate and helpful after the zoning hearing, assuming the applicant chooses to move forward.