Plans have recently been submitted to the County for rezoning the Scottish Rite property that sits west of the Memorial Hwy x Dana Shores Dr intersection and immediately east of the Sweetwater community. The Sweetwater Creek (SCPOA) Board opposes the developer’s requested variance to allow for the construction of 329 apartments, a 25,000 sq ft. replacement structure for Scottish Rite and a 4,500 sq. ft. office building. The DSCA Board agrees with and supports Sweetwater in their objection.
Additional details are provided below.
Letter of Opposition Sent to County on Behalf of the Sweetwater Creek POA (An updated letter will be sent to replace this initial version; the revision is currently being drafted)
Facebook page dedicated to this subject, available to residents, and moderated by Sweetwater: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1480685619081525
All related documentation submitted to, posted by, and kept up-to-date by the County
- Click on https://pgm.hillsboroughcounty.org/optix-web-8/#folder;1uNGIMt5qb6JBhzwjpjWvpYa0LrPUPt2
- Log in as public (user and pw = public).
- Select <Refresh Server Catalog> once logged in.
- Go to ‘Document Repository Public’.
- In the second user field, enter ‘22-0865’. Hit Return.
- At the top of the screen, you should see a blue highlighted horizontal bar. Click on the blue folder that is in the leftmost column (next to the Application Number). This will open up all of the related folders.
- Some find it helpful to start with the ‘Application’ and ‘Site Plans and Maps’ folders.
The Applicant signed in as a lobbyist for this project with several County Commissioners in February of this year.
A Neighborhood Meeting with Onicx representatives occurred the evening of July 26, 2022, at Rocky Point Golf Course,
The Applicant recently filed for continuance until the 9/19/22 Zoning Hearing meeting.
For citizen’s written comments to be considered in the County staff’s findings and recommendations, we recommend they be submitted before or around the end of August.
The Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) will provide the final approval or denial of the zoning request. The meeting with the BOCC occurs after the zoning hearing meeting; the exact date has not yet been set. We recommend letters be sent to the BOCC after the Zoning Hearing and before the BOCC hearing.
The DSCA Board members have had several discussions with Sweetwater regarding this matter, and we encourage our residents to support Sweetwater’s stance by sending an email outlining your opposition to the proposed rezoning.
- Send your response to: HEARINGS@HCFLGov.net
- Subject: OPPOSITION to Rezoning Application 22-0865 (5500 Memorial Hwy, Tampa: Folio # 11994.0100)
- Include your name and address. You may also use any or all of the first two pages of Sweetwater’s letter (above) to help frame your concerns.
Residents may attend, listen to, and speak at the zoning hearing.
Again, letters to the Board of County Commissioners and attendance at the BOCC meeting will also be appropriate and helpful after the zoning hearing, assuming the applicant chooses to move forward.