Guidelines and Instructions
The annual Holiday Dock and Yard Decorating Contest will be held this season with the following dates:
Entry Application Period: 10/1 – 12/14
Judging & Community Vote Period: 12/15 – 12/18 (virtually and in-person at Holiday Happy Hour Family Event)
Winners Announced: evening of 12/18 via the Holiday Happy Hour Family Event (Tentative due to COVID-19), the Dana Shores Civic Association Email Distribution List (sign up here) and neighbors-only Facebook group (request to join here).
Please read these guidelines and instructions and if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Participation is open to all residents in Dana Shores and Pelican Island.
- Entry is free, no cost or fees apply.
- Neighborhood board members are not eligible to participate.
- Entry Applications must be received no later than 5pm on December 14.
- Dock submissions – Contest is for dock decorations only, including decorations that are visible from the waterways. Judging will be done from outside the residence via the waterways. Yard submissions – Contest is for exterior decorations only, including decorations in windows that are visible from the exterior. Judging will be done from outside the residence only.
- Dock submissions – Judging for the docks will be based on “canal appeal” as viewed from a boat or across the canal only. Therefore only those decorations located on the water side of the property will be judged (corner lots will be judged from all viewing angles). Judges will not enter the property to view additional decorations. Yard submissions – Judging will be based on “curb appeal” as viewed from the street only. Therefore only those decorations located on the street side of the property will be judged (corner lots will be judged from both streets). Judges will not enter the property to view back or side yards.
- Participants agree to have one or more photos of their decorated dock posted on DanaShores.com, the community Facebook page, and/or other marketing materials for the Dana Shores Civic Association as well as in the Shore Lines newsletter. Participant agrees that there will be no compensation of any kind for said posting or publication.
- Judging criteria will include a) Unique design and creative use of lights and decorations; b) Storyline or theme; c) Display and placement of decorations, animated objects, etc.; and d) Overall presentation.
- Participants should ensure that all lights, animations, and decorations are in place and activated from 6:00pm – 9:00pm each night during the voting period.
- Dock participants must display an Entry Number Sign, provided by the Dana Shores Civic Association. This sign should be placed in a conspicuous location on the dock, nearest the waterway so that the judges may see it.
- Participants must also submit a photo or video of their decorated dock or yard to email@example.com by December 19th to be included in the vote.
- Voting will occur virtually between December 15th and 12:00 p.m. (noon) on December 18th. Voting will also occur in-person at the Holiday Happy Hour Event.
- Winners will be announced via email and on Facebook and at the Holiday Happy Hour Event on December 18th and featured in the January issue of the Shore Lines.
- Be creative, be festive, and have fun!